5 July 2014

Make-Up Review: Revlon Colorburst Lip Butters


It's been a while since my last "real" post! One of the things I want to do with this blog is record and review my make-up products, so I'm back with a new make-up review. This time, I'll be reviewing Revlon's Colorburst Lip Butters.

I own the colours Cotton Candy (a shimmery light pink), Raspberry Pie (a glossy berry), and Red Velvet (a glossy burgundy).

From left to right: Cotton Candy, Raspberry Pie, Red Velvet
The Lip Butters are advertised as tinted lip balms, competing with Maybelline's Color Whispers line. There are apparently a total 20 shades available, which is rather impressive. Essentially, these lip colours are meant to be hydrating but also provide a wash of colour. However, pigmentation really varies through the line.

All three shades apply smoothly and don't feel heavy on the lips. They're hydrating enough that my lips weren't complaining, but it's not as though they'd be a permanent replacement for a really good balm. Colour payoff varies, which I'll describe individually. First, here's a swatch of the shades on my arm.

From left to right: Cotton Candy, Raspberry Pie, Red Velvet
Raspberry Pie is a berry shade that is incredibly pigmented. It's a little mauve-y in the tube, but I would firmly put it amongst the berries. I haven't worn this shade as much as I thought I would, but I can definitely see myself using this during the autumn-winter.

Red Velvet is a burgundy shade, and acts as the richest, darkest red of the Lip Butters. Like Raspberry Pie, this shade is very pigmented. To me, it applies just slightly less than true-to-colour, but that's not an issue. I've been wearing this as a more moisturising alternative to a bright red lip, but again I think I would wear this more often in the winter.

Cotton Candy is the "nude" shade of the three I purchased. In the tube, it's a light pink with glitter throughout. There's no grittiness when applying. It is incredibly sheer, and only makes my lips appear slightly lighter. Frankly, out of all the shades I own, this is the only shade I don't actually like. I've been wearing it as a nude lip and I've noticed that after a while dead skin and glitter and the product itself would gather in those ugly white clumps at the corners of my mouth. It's gross and doesn't happen with the other shades. It also settles into the lines of my lips if I don't properly exfoliate and moisturise before applying.

Please click to view.
Overall, I love the Lip Butters, but I don't plan on purchasing the rest of the shades. I got mine at Walmart, where they were selling them for $4.47CAD each, but when I went today to browse, I noticed that they're now labelled $8.46CAD! I really hope it's a pricing error, but I remember seeing this higher price back when I first started wanting the Lip Butters.

Um whaaat?????
Pros:
• huge shade range
• moisture while also providing colour
• easy to find
• darker shades stain a little after gloss wears off

Meh:
• glitter in some shades

Cons:
• colour isn't long-lasting
• darker colour doesn't necessarily mean more pigmented
• some shades are very sheer

They're available in most (if not all) locations that sell drugstore brand make-up, such as Walmart, Target and Shoppers Drug Mart. I highly recommend comparing prices for all these locations, since this is supposed to be a cheap product.

No comments:

Post a Comment