27 September 2014

Make-Up Review: Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner


Today's review is for the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner, which I have in Black. It claims to last all day, no smudging, no running, be waterproof, and be easy to use. Let's see how it holds up! 

There's actually a little story behind this purchase. 

I was using my old Sephora Collection Colourful Eye Liner, which is the old non-waterproof formula that only exists now with the High Precision brush. I was taking the bus to school, and fell asleep. Upon waking up, I yawned and a little tear beaded at the corner of my eye. I remembered that Sephora's old liner isn't waterproof and so I panicked and tried to remove the tear without disturbing the liner. Unfortunately, a chunk of the liner dissolved as I blotted away the tear. So, since I go to school right next to the Eaton Centre, I rushed to Sephora and asked a sales rep to suggest a new black liquid liner with all my needs: intense colour, matte, long-lasting and waterproof. She suggested the Stila Stay All Day liner in Black. I bought it immediately after touching up my messed up liner. Then, I ran to class.



Stila's liquid liner comes in a pen form, making it easy to use and apply. I'm generally pretty wary of pens, since I feel like the product would dry out on the tip or just in the barrel. The sales rep at Sephora assured me that it wouldn't, though. I've yet to see it dry out, but I've also only had it for a few weeks. The felt tip is really thin, so I can easily get that perfect cat-eye flick. I usually use it at an angle, since I like a slightly thicker look. 

The formula is pretty pigmented, but I've noticed that one stroke doesn't provide deepest, darkest black. I draw my cat-eye wing first, so I have to go over that part when I do the rest of the eye. Another problem I've found with this liner is that it does transfer upwards in my inner eye corner. I tend to have really long days, and my eyelids can get oily. Even with primer and eyeshadow underneath, Stila's liner transfers a little. In my outer eye corners, I see a teeny amount of transfer to the lower lid, but it's so faint that it looks like a shadow cast by my lashes.

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black
(This photo feels weirder and weirder the more I stare at it.)
Can you see that bit of transfer under the wing and around the outer corner?
At the end of the day, I use L'Oreal's non-greasy waterproof make-up remover to take off my eye make-up. It's really easy to remove Stila's liner without a lot of rubbing. This is a great thing, since the eye is a sensitive area. 

Pros:
• Waterproof
• Easy to remove
• Easy to apply
• Long-lasting

Meh:
• Not intense black on one swipe
• Transfers to bottom lid and in the inner eye corner (but in miniscule amounts)

Cons: 
• Price
• Technically doesn't stay all day

Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner retails at Sephora for $26CAD for 0.016oz of product. To me, this is a little pricey since I'm used to finding drugstore dupes for most products. However, I wouldn't ever skimp on eyeliner! It's such an important part of my make-up routine that I'd rather spend for better quality and longevity.

However, because it does transfer no matter what I do, I am considering returning it. For that price and those claims, I really wish there was no transfer! Especially since I can get a liquid liner that actually doesn't transfer for $15CAD from the Sephora Collection. (There are trade-offs, but transfer is very important!)

What do you think?

Update: I have chosen to return it and will do so as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment