13 October 2014

Make-Up Review: Nyx Love In Paris Eye Shadow Palette in Parisian Chic

One of the palettes I reach for almost every day is my Nyx eye shadow palette. Nyx is fairly difficult to find for me, where I've only ever seen a large selection at certain Rexall locations. I have one of their Love in Paris palettes in Parisian Chic.


The packaging of these palettes are simple but really cute! I love the sleek black casing and the little bow on the clasp. The case is made out of plastic, which does feel a little cheap. But Nyx is pretty famous for its affordable prices (in the US at least) so I don't have an issue with it. It also comes with a dual-ended foam applicator, but I never use those in favour of brushes.

Parisian Chic is a set of nine neutral shades: four mattes and five shimmers. I'm definitely more into neutrals than brights, since they're infinitely more wearable in my opinion. This palette has an entire range from off-white to brown-black and lots in between.

I'm going to try and describe the colours in the palette, but what you see above are pretty true to life. 

1: matte light taupe
2: shimmery dark champagne
3: shimmery dark taupe-brown
4: matte off-white
5: matte camel/tan
6: matte black-brown
7: shimmery copper (gold-leaning)
8: shimmery bronze (red-leaning)
9: shimmery dark brown

All of these are swatched heavily using my finger, so a brush might not give the same pigmentation as seen above. Shades 1, 4, and 5 are fairly unnoticable when I use it (with a brush) on my eye. I had to build up 1 and 4 with a lot of layers before I could see them clearly. I tend to use these as either highlight or base shades. The most pigmented are 7-9. It's too easy to accidentally do a sultry smokey eye with 9 in the outer corners, so you'd definitely have to use a light hand! 

Most of these can be grouped to make a cohesive look, or used on their own for lazy, one-shadow days. I usually use 4 as my highlight, shades 1, 2, 3, or 5 as a base and blending colour, and 6, 7, 8, or 9 as my crease and outer corner colour. For example, for a cooler neutral eye I would use shades 1, 4, 3, and 6, and for a warmer eye I would use 2, 4, 5, and 7. I also mix and match these shades with other palettes or singles that I have. 

I never wear eye make-up without primer, so I won't be able to attest to the lasting power on its own, but I've never had a problem with these fading or melting away during wear. And that's for 12+hr days! 

Pros:
• versatile and wearable shade selection
• easy to blend
• smooth powder formula
• little to no fallout
• fairly long-lasting (with primer)

Meh:
• some shades were not as pigmented as others

Cons: 
• highlight shade is chalky and lacking in pigment

According to the Nyx website, the Love in Paris eye shadow palettes retail for $10USD, but I found it here in Toronto for $11-12CAD. It's not that big of a jump, for which I'm grateful. Like already mentioned, I picked up mine from Rexall, but I've seen some Nyx products available at Target.

I do think that it's worth the purchase, especially if you're new to eye shadow and would like a set of simple but versatile neutral shades. It's a highly basic palette, and with this set of nine shades, you can easily just find singles of shades you don't have yet. It's a great starter palette, and at a third of the cost of Urban Decay's Naked Basics!

3 comments:

  1. You can also find NYX at that one store in PMall!! Anyways, I've often heard NYX eyeshadow palettes were hit/miss, and though I do looooove the neutrals in this palette, I'm a bit 'meh' on the inconsistent formulas. But I seriously love how basic the packaging of this palette is! Irrelevant, but the packaging reminds me of Sonia Kashuk's stuff, and I want to try her eyeshadow palettes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier for me to get to Rexall than it is to get to PMall LOL, so I'm going to still go to Rexall for Nyx things. And yeah, I've heard their shadow palettes are pretty inconsistent, but I'm pretty happy with this one!
      Also, LBR I want to try aaaall the neutral palettes!

      Delete