6 December 2014

Batting My Lashes



I want to start of by saying I don't actually use mascara that often. They usually transfer to my lower lids and make a mess, so I just avoid the problem entirely. That being said, I still do own three different mascaras.

I'm pretty aware of my junkie habits when it comes to make-up, but because I've always had a problem with mascara, I keep thinking that maaaaybe the next formula I try will be "the one." I think I've tried four different ones, but I've only kept three (I was able to return the other one).

When I bought mascara, I tend to go for those that promise va-va-voom volume. I don't care much for definition and length, since I wear glasses daily. As for curl, I'm not above lightly curling my lashes after mascara.

Apologies for the awful flash.


I'll start with the Maybelline Volum' Express The Falsies Mascara. The formula is not the waterproof one. I like how this one makes my lashes look a little darker and longer. It does clump a little, though. But! I realised that this one only transfers around when I'm wearing foundation or concealer under my eyes without a setting powder. With a setting powder, the transfer is reduced, but without any face make-up at all, there is zero transfer! Everything I ever asked for. (I ask for very little.)

The next one is the Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant Mascara from this year's Sephora birthday gift. It's not waterproof, as far as I'm aware. I think the cone brush is love or hate, and frankly I hate it. It's way too bulky to use on my eyes and I'm always scared of poking my eye out with the ridiculously long bristles near the base. And then the tip of it has super short bristles that hold onto far too much product no matter what I do. This does give more length than the Maybelline, but clumps more and makes the lashes look "crispy," if you know what I mean.

Lastly, I have a L'Oreal Waterproof Voluminous Carbon Black Mascara. This is the waterproof formula, which I got because I figured I'd probably be grateful at some point. On me, this mascara transfers all the time. I get the gross smudges under my eyes, and to make matters worse, the smudges are hard to wipe off because it's a waterproof formula. Otherwise, I love the way it makes my lashes look.

That fourth mascara that I've tried is the Buxom Lash Mascara. I remember it giving amazing definition and just enough length for me. Unfortunately, it was not volumising enough, despite its claims. Since I bought it from Sephora, I was able to return it hassle-free.

Left side is natural lashes: uncurled, curled, curled
Right, top to bottom: MUFE, L'Oreal, Maybelline






Straight on, it was hard to see the difference between no mascara and the various formulas, but you can clearly see differences from a slight angle. All the mascaras were put on after curling my lashes, and I did not curl afterwards. The MUFE and the Maybelline mascaras both pulled down the curl a lot. The L'Oreal mascara held up a little better.

Because of how much trouble I've had with mascaras, I'm going to use false lashes as soon as I use up these three tubes. But I think they'd dry out before I'd be able to finish them.

Does anyone have good falsies recommendations (on a budget!)? Preferably those that aren't that long, since I still do wear glasses.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, I have the same problem too. I can't find a mascara that won't transfer :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to hoping we find "the one"! Or just get REALLY good with falsies. ;)

      Delete