22 December 2014

Painting the Town Red



It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of red lippies. No matter the product line, the first lip colour I look for is a darn good red. So, although my lippie collection is still small, I've still got a good selection of products for any day of the week.

And since it's Christmas in a couple of days, I think it's the perfect time to whip out a couple favourite reds for some festive cheer!

The Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red was my first truly red lip product. It's a matte cream, liquid lipstick type of product. Although it's called a lip stain, I find that it doesn't actually stain, per se. Nonetheless, it's incredibly long-lasting and only requires touch-ups after eating wet or oily foods. The one downside is that it gets drying if you leave it on for ages. Otherwise, it's a great true red. Definitely a go-to for me.

Another liquid product is the L'Oreal Colour Riche Extraordinaire Lip Colour in 304 Ruby Opera (review). It's a gloss-like product, which I don't normally go for. However, since this was something I got for free, I got to try out the formula and found that I do kind of like it! I really like the innovative applicator. 

My third red liquid lipstick is Too Faced Melted Lipsticks in Melted Berry, which I got in the Melted Lipstick minis holiday set. Since this is a berry colour, it does have a little more purple in it than most of the other products, but I think it's a fairly red shade. I also expected it to be a little darker than it is, but nonetheless I find it really beautiful! 

A red tinted balm is Maybelline's Baby Lips in Cherry Me (review). This one's very sheer, as expected, so it shows up more pink than red on my lips. But it's red in the tube, so it's going in this group. I haven't really used this in a while, since it's now the colder months and tinted balms are very much a summer thing for me. 

A heavily pigmented tinted balm in this colour scheme is the Revlon ColorBurst Lip Butter in Red Velvet (review). This one leans more burgundy than red, but still reads red enough for me to include here. This is really moisturising for a "lipstick" option, but it does have a glossy finish before it dries down. 

My only two "actual" red lipsticks are my newest purchases, two NYX Cosmetics Extra Creamy Round Lipsticks. I have the shades LSS513 Electra and LSS569 Snow White. Electra is a true red (cream finish), while Snow White is a deep blue-toned red (satin finish). Snow White leans a little burgundy on me, while Electra leans more blue-toned than Sephora's Always Red (though both claim to be true reds).


I'm not yet sure which one I'd use for my family's get-together on Christmas' Eve, but I know it'll be one of these beauties.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone! Sending warm wishes to everyone! ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment