28 January 2015

Eyeliner Comparison: Stila, Kat Von D, Dolly Wink & Sephora Collection


I've been really neglecting blogging because of how crazy my class schedule is this term, and I'm really sorry about that! I'm not off to a good start with my "more posts" plan for this year. But I'm hopping back on the wagon (at least for a little while) to write a post about something I've been wanting to do for a while!

I looooove my liquid liner, and it's one of the few makeup items that I'm always going to spend a little more on. Right now, I have 4 liquid liners from different brands in my collection and I'm going to do a little comparison on them!

In the above photo, from left to right are Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner in Deep Black, Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper in the mini size, Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner in Dark Brown in the mini size, and Sephora Collection Colourful Waterproof Eyeliner 24HR Wear in 08 Electric Diva. I bought all of these for myself, so all links are just so you can easily get them too!

Of these four liners, the Sephora Collection Colourful Waterproof Eyeliner 24HR Wear in 08 Eccentric Diva is the oldest. I bought it in July 2014 after giving in to the coloured liner craving I'd been having. It claims to have intense colour, be waterproof and smudge-proof, and come off easily. I agree with all the claims, but there are drawbacks. I found that this liner flakes off when rubbed, which may be a problem for those with sensitive eyes.  I do not have a habit of rubbing my eyes, so the flaking is not a problem for me. Otherwise, it stays put all day without a problem! Even when my eyelids get oily, this formula stays on flawlessly. I've also tried this formula in 12 Morning Mocha.

I've previously reviewed the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner (here), but this mini in Dark Brown was from the Sephora Draw the Line set. It performs just as well as the full size and is just more travel-friendly (not that I bring it with me that often). To sum up that review, its flaw is that it transfers a teeny bit, but it's super easy to apply and is rather pigmented.

The mini size Kat Von D Tattoo Liner in Trooper is also from the Draw the Line set. It claims to be resistant to fading, melting, cracking and running. It also features a brush tip, rather than the felt tip of the Stila liners. I like the brush a lot more, because I think it feels a lot smoother on the eyelid. I'm not sure if this one isn't as pigmented because it's old (and has been used a lot!) or because it's always been that way. I find that this doesn't transfer in the inner eye the way the Stila did, but there's a similar amount on the outer corner at the end of the day.

Finally, we have the Dolly Wink Liquid Eyeliner in Deep Black, which I got at Pacific Mall for $22. I checked prices all around the mall, and prices ranged from $22-$26. I'm sure you can get this one online much easier, but I would rather get it in a store and pay a little more to ensure that I'm definitely going to take it home. This liner is pigmented, easy to apply and easy to remove. I think it does transfer a teeny bit (less than the Stila, which is already negligible). The Dolly Wink liner is very comparible to the KVD, mostly because of the brush tip. They do feel a little different though, and I wasn't able to put a word to it until Jenn of A Beautiful Zen described it as "flexible" in a reply to me. Whereas the KVD would snap back sharply if bent too far, the Dolly Wink is much more forgiving.

From left to right: Sephora Collection, Stila, Kat Von D, Dolly Wink
Forgive the awkward-looking swatches. I swatched these on my left arm so it would be easier to photograph, but I'm left-handed. My right hand can hold a pen, but that doesn't mean it knows how to use one.

Right now, I think my favourite liquid liner is the Dolly Wink! It beats KVD's by a narrow margin because of pigmentation; I think that the Dolly Wink liner is a deeper black. However, for something that I know will stay on perfectly, the Sephora Collection one has the best formula.

What do you think? What is your favourite liquid liner?

4 comments:

  1. The Dolly Wink does look much darker than the rest, and I totally relate with buying stuff at PMall! Sure, I can get some of the Asian beauty goods online, but that means I'll have to pay for shipping, and I guess I'd rather pay a bit more at the store :(

    I haven't found a liquid liner that I like yet....but then again, there are some liquid liners that I haven't even tried yet in my stash ._.


    Vanessa | Citron and Guavaberry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm most scared of paying for something and then having my purchase "get lost in the mail"!

    Liquid liner is such a necessity for me, so I get really excited about using it LOL. What's lying around unused for me, are blushes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only use pencil liner :P Perhaps this year will be the year I try a liquid liner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe! Liquid liner isn't for everyone, but I'm a fan. :)

    ReplyDelete