7 May 2015

Putting My Best Face Forward: Mini Reviews



One of my favourite things about makeup is finding that one product that just works so perfectly for me. So when my foundation ran out, I figured it was the perfect time to experiment with others on the market. I know exactly what I like, but I needed to know if a particular formula would work well on my skin.

Each foundation was tested while using The Face Shop Velvet Skin primer and Rimmel's Stay Matte powder in Translucent.

Rimmel Clean Finish Foundation in Soft Beige
Shades: small range, great match
Finish: dewy, radiant
Coverage: medium
Lasting Power: good for short days

This was my first ever foundation. It didn't last without a primer or powder, but otherwise it does ok. On me, it's not as awful as most other reviewers said it'd be. It's not formulated for oily skin, so there's definitely better foundations out there for me!

L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation in 103 Natural Buff
Shades: small range, ok match
Finish: matte
Coverage: full
Lasting Power: all day

Honestly one of my favourite foundation formulas. It's long-wearing, waterproof and matte. It'd be amazing if not for the shade range, but 103 doesn't look that weird on me, even though it's probably slightly too pink. Read my previous review here.

Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation in #40
Shades: great range, ok match
Finish: matte
Coverage: medium-full
Lasting Power: all day

I thought this would be my holy grail, but it's not. Wearing concealer over the foundation would cause the foundation to clump and act funny. It's pretty long-lasting otherwise, but I'm actually rather disappointed in this.

NARS All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation in Punjabi
Shades: great range, great match
Finish: natural, satin
Coverage: full
Lasting Power: good for most days

This might be my most favourite foundation. I love the coverage, the finish and how it feels so light on the skin! The $57 price tag is putting me off though...

Clinique Stay-Matte Oil-Free Makeup in 8 Golden-Neutral
Shades: great range, ok match
Finish: satin-matte
Coverage: light
Lasting Power: good for short days

This evens my skintone even though it's pretty sheer, but doesn't last all day. It definitely feels amazing on the skin. The most accurate match was still a little too dark for me, but it blends out so well that you can't tell.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Foundation in 3.0
Shades: great range, great match
Finish: satin-matte
Coverage: medium
Lasting Power: a few hours

This one has a surprisingly good coverage, and felt really light on the skin. Unfortunately, it got greasy quick.

Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation in Light 49
Shades: great range, ok match
Finish: matte
Coverage: full
Lasting Power: all day

The L'Oreal Pro-Matte and this are almost interchangeable in terms of wear and formula. But this one is a lot easier to remove after the day, and easier to wash out of brushes. I don't think it's as waterproof as the L'Oreal.

tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation in Light-Medium Sand
Shades: great range, great match
Finish: matte
Coverage: full
Lasting Power: all day

I love the mousse texture! It's surprisingly light, but still a really full coverage. I found that it's best to apply this one with fingers, for a thinner layer that gets worked right into the skin.




I use the L'Oreal as my daily foundation because it's the only one that isn't a sample LOL. It's great in terms of formula, but the shade range should definitely be improved. I'm also still hitting Sephora and asking for samples of various foundations I want to try. No sample = no purchase.

Did you have similar experiences or completely different ones? Tell me about them!

6 comments:

  1. I have a tube of the L'Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte 24HR Foundation at home but haven't opened it yet, I should eh? I use the MUFE HD foundation as well as Dior Nude foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I liked about that Rimmel foundation was the interesting applicator :P
    I really should get some samples of foundations I want to try. Though perhaps I should wait a couple of months since this might provoke me to break my spending ban!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the formula of the Pro-Matte foundation, but not the shade range! If it's a good match, I definitely recommend it.

    I really want to try the MUFE HD, and I'll probably pick up a sample soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right, that! The strange but oddly useful applicator keeps slipping my mind. I liked it too, though.

    Yeah, get the samples when you're ready to pick up a full-sized. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really wanted to try that new NARS foundation! Neither of the other ones from them really worked with my skin. I noticed the same thing with that Urban Decay one. I had a sample of it too and got VERY oily.



    The Tarte one has been on my list forever! Sounds very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. With the NARS one, you really have to use your fingers. It 100% gives you the best finish!

    ReplyDelete