14 July 2015

Makeup Review: L'Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper in Transparent

I picked this up a while ago and promised to review it. The L'Oreal Brow Stylist Plumper is a brow gel, and comes in three shades: light-medium, medium-dark, and transparent. I have the transparent one, though I originally wanted to try the dark option. L'Oreal describes it as easy to apply, creates fuller-looking brows and holds the hairs in place.

So how does it stack up?

The transparent gel is literally just that: a clear gel meant to hold your brows in place all day. However, if I'm having a wild brow day, where my little teeny eyebrows stick up every which way, I find that the gel doesn't do enough to hold the stray hairs down. I really have to layer it on for the hairs to stick to each other in some semblance of neatness. In fact, the Anastasia DipBrow pomade actually does a better job of keeping strays in check than this brow gel.

The good thing is that no matter how much you layer on, it never looks crispy nor feels like "too much." It doesn't reflect light weirdly, so you won't be able to tell there's product on the brows.

Also, while the tinted versions have tiny fibres to add oomph to your brows, the transparent one does not. So this one won't be adding any illusion of thickness if your brows aren't already full (like meeeee).

So for me, I have to use a product underneath to draw on my brows, and unfortunately, if I use this on top, it tends to pick up product and make my brows look patchy. This is also why the gel on mine looks muddy. It's all the brow product that it's picked up. Brand new, it will be clear!

Finally, the brush! I find it's about twice the size of the Benefit Gimme Brow! but still easy to work through eyebrows. Even if you have thinner brows, it's small enough for accuracy and neatness. The dip between bristles is quite deep though, so I really recommend wiggling the brush around in the tube before pulling it out to ensure you have product on it.

In the end, I'm not a huge fan of it. While the brush is nice, the transparent gel just doesn't cut it for me. I'm still curious enough to try the tinted version, but that's a ways off probably.

Have you tried the Brow Stylist Plumper? What did you think?

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this but I think I'd like fibres even more :D at least the tube is opaque to hide that dirty gel haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get that in Canada? I've been trying to find the coloured ones, but I haven't seen any of them in stores around here! I want to try it because people on YouTube seem to love the tinted ones, but thanks for letting me know the clear isn't worth my time :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! I definitely appreciate not seeing the dirty gel :P Have you tried the tinted version? What did you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep! I picked this up from Walmart, but I've been seeing it at Shoppers too. It's only recently that I've been seeing the tinted versions at all. Maybe check back once in a while?

    ReplyDelete
  5. nope haven't tried it yet but I just think I'd like fibres even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never use clear brow gels. I find that my brows don't really move around during the day, despite how full they are. I want to try a tinted brow gel but I haven't found one that leans grayish instead of brownish :/

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my brow hairs get long, some of them stand up out of my face, so I wish the gel held them down. Yeah, that's my problem too. I think the medium-dark from the Brow Stylist Plumper leans red-brown, but I think one of the Gimme Brows is fairly grey.

    ReplyDelete