11 December 2015

Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye Contour Palette Review


I'm getting back into the groove of blogging on the regular! Today I'm sharing a review of the Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye Contour palette.

I picked up this beauty during the Sephora sale, which you would have seen in my most recent haul post. I'd been interested in it because it was an entirely matte palette with shades throughout the "temperature" range. That is to say, it has an even distribution of warm, cool and neutral tones.

The Kat Von D Shade & Light Eye Contour palette boasts 12 completely matte eyeshadows, 3 of which are 0.08 oz. (the Base shades), while the other 9 shades are 0.04 oz. They're housed in a matte cardboard palette with a magnetic closing. The front has Kat's signature calligraphy (which I love to death), embossed with spot UV gloss on top. Inside, the mirror is the size of the palette and has a cute filigree-style border. Honestly, this palette is pretty.

The palette's 3 quads are designed for contouring the eye, but I think that's just gimmick. "Regular" eyeshadow tends to be just as "contouring," and manipulates light and shadow to create a desired effect on the eye, anyway. In any case, the palette comes with diagrams on how to achieve various looks (which I completely forgot about until I started writing this post).

Sephora's website claims the eyeshadows to be blendable, buildable, highly pigmented, and long-wearing. So that's what I'll talk about!

Right off the bat, the first thing I noticed is that these shadows really do pack a punch. Despite being an entire palette of nude shades, they really do create quite an effect. The swatches really don't do them justice. What I've found though, because these shadows are so pigmented, that all you need to pick up product is to pat the brush onto it lightly.

I do find the shadows blendable, in that it's really easy to create gradients between shades and to blend out harsh lines. However, if you put too much to begin with, no amount of blending will soften these suckers.

On that note, I'm not too sure about buildability, because what you see in the pan is very likely what you'll see on the skin. That being said, paler shades did not appear quite so pale on the eye (and in my swatches) because I'm so pale as well. There's really no need to build up colour, and to be honest I really like that.

And finally, were these shadows long-wearing? While I always wear primer anyway, I still say heck yeah. What the shadows look like at 8am will definitely be what they look like at 8pm. And if you're like me and usually spend way too much time blending out harsh lines, the longevity makes all that hard work worth it.

My favourite shades to use so far have been Laetus, Samuel, Solas and Sytry, and I looove to use Shax to set gel liner because it's a perfect matte pitch black. But all of the shades are definitely user-friendly in the sense that it's not hard to figure out how to use them in a look. They are neutrals, after all.

If you're on the lookout for a completely matte eyeshadow palette, I honestly say give this a go. It's not the cheapest, at $55 CAD, but it's definitely not the priciest either. It's definitely placed itself firmly in my daily makeup routine!

Stay updated and follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment