8 January 2016

NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick Review and Swatches

Lipstick is one of my favourite makeup things, and today I've got a new lipstick review for you! And even better, they're yet another matte liquid lipstick, but this time with a drugstore price point.

So are these worth hunting down?

From the NYX website, these lipsticks are described thus:
"Doll up your lips in plush and vibrant color! Our Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick glides on and sets into a striking matte finish. Velvety soft and waterproof, this long-lasting lippie creates a positively polished look with every swipe."
I bought two shades out of the available twelve: Cherry Skies and Tea and Cookies.

Cherry Skies is described as a deep wine red. On me, it's a dark blue-based red that's really flattering. I'm definitely in love with it, and bonus: It makes my coffee-stained teeth look whiter! This shade goes on opaque, but can get a little patchy if you put too thin a layer. Check out my last video to see this shade in action!

Tea and Cookies is described as a muted tea rose pink, and reads a bit Barbie-pink on me. It's one of those white-based pinks so isn't flattering on all skintones, so do swatch this one before buying it. I think I can rock the colour, but any dry flakes are super obvious.

Here are swatches a minute or so after application, so they're not entirely matte yet.

Left: Tea and Cookies
Right: Cherry Skies


I've found that while these definitely look matte when they've dried, they don't feel that way on the lips. They're much more comfortable long-term than my favourite Kat Von D liquid lipsticks. However, the Liquid Suedes aren't transfer-proof. Even two hours after application, I found that they leave stains behind on cups.

Like all matte lipsticks, the Liquid Suedes need prep before application. They emphasize any dry flakes you may have, so exfoliate! With well-prepped lips, these liquid lipsticks go on smoothly. After a while though, I've noticed that they can settle into lines, but it's only noticeable close up.

Something important to note is that on the packaging, it says each tube contains 4 mL of product. However, when you compare the Liquid Suedes to NYX's other liquid lipstick, the Soft Matte Lip Creams, you'll notice that the Soft Mattes contain 8 mL of product. And yet the tubes compare like this...

I can't actually prove if this is an error or anything, but it's definitely something weird.

Overall? There are other matte liquid lipsticks that I like better, and even the Soft Matte Lip Creams are incredibly similar. I'd only suggest the Liquid Suedes if you're really into one of the more unique shades, like Amethyst (vibrant purple), Sway (lilac) or Stone Fox (grey).

I've only seen the Liquid Suede lipsticks at the NYX stores, where they retail for $10 CAD each. They're also available online from the NYX website.

Stay updated and follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment