26 April 2016

Arbonne SeaSource Detox Spa Sea Mud Face & Body Mask Review


*This post contains PR samples.

Earth Day was a few days ago, but today's post is about skincare that goes back to nature for all its ingredients and benefits. Arbonne kindly sent me their SeaSource Detox Spa Sea Mud Face & Body Mask ($49 CAD) for review, and I've been testing it out for a few weeks. Aside from its incredibly long name, the mask's features include unclogging pores, and removing dead skin cells and impurities while still leaving skin feeling hydrated and invigorated. And the packaging is supposed to be environmentally-friendly too, though I can't find anything to back that up.

The mask itself comes in a squeezy tube with 8 fl. oz., which actually surprised me. It's kinda of...big? It's formidable in comparison to the Origins charcoal mask that is my go-to. So how does this Arbonne mask do?

It has three key ingredients that does most of the heavy lifting:
  • sea salt, for absorbing toxins and removing dead skin cells,
  • ginger root extract, as an antioxidant, and 
  • bentonite clay, for drawing out toxins and shrinking the size of pores.
The mask comes as a dark green-grey clay mask sorta thing. It has a minty scent to it, which is really pleasant. But because of it, I'd be extra careful about making sure it doesn't get anywhere near your eyes! The mask is also meant to be used both on the face and body. I only tried it on my face though.



The instructions say to apply a generous amount, and let the mask dry for 10-15 minutes. On the body, you can leave the mask on for double the time. Then, wash off the mask. I prefer using a wash cloth and warm water, but hands work too.

For application, I always prefer using a clean foundation brush (one of those paddle-shaped ones) for clay masks because I think it gets me the most even layer.


About five minutes into my first try with this mask, my face stung like hell. Not like a "this clay mask is drying out and pulling at my skin" sorta thing. More like "I forgot I used a minty floss two seconds ago and itched my eye and now it burns" or like "my boyfriend tricked me into giving him a kiss after he just ate the spiciest banh mi sandwich."

So the instructions say to wash it off after 10-15 minutes, but I managed about six before most of the mask was dry and I couldn't stand the burning anymore. Surprisingly, my skin looked fine after. No redness, despite some lingering stinging. And most of the pain went away after I moisturized.

I tried this again about a week later, and this next time I didn't experience any stinging but I definitely felt the need to moisturize after. My skin felt great, and because it does dry down a fair bit, I could see it helping improve any acne I had going on. Arbonne suggests using this mask once a week for the best results.

While I didn't notice any change in the size of my pores, my skin felt a lot smoother after using the mask. It doesn't have any of the moisturizing benefits it claims, but I find myself a lot less oily for a few days after using it, which is awesome. And it definitely sped up the acne healing process. The only thing to be wary about is the stinging that I experienced, though I have found no long-lasting effects.

So I would not recommend this mask for anyone with sensitive or dry skin. But for those of you with oily or combination skin, I did see this mask helping to balance out my skin. It's a product I do think I'll reach for, now that my skin's gotten used to the mintiness. Arbonne products can be purchased from their website or your local consultant.

*This post contains PR samples.

Stay updated and follow me on

No comments:

Post a Comment